Are you an LGBTQ+ identified filmmaker looking to take the next step in your career?
The BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew Mentoring programme in partnership with BFI NETWORK returns for a sixth year offering six emerging LGBTQ+ filmmakers an incredible opportunity to develop their industry knowledge and professional connections.
About the programme
BFI Flare x BAFTA Crew Mentoring is a partnership between BFI NETWORK, BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival and BAFTA. Since its launch in 2015, the programme has supported 29 LGBTQ+ filmmakers working towards their first feature or major broadcast / online commission. Selected participants are matched with a senior industry mentor, based on their individual needs and ambitions, alongside additional support from BAFTA on how to get the most out of the experience. This programme aims to strengthen professional networks, create new pathways to industry, and offer a space for discussion and better understanding of opportunities and challenges for LGBTQ+ filmmakers, both in the UK and the global marketplace.
The programme begins at BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (18-29 March 2020), where selected filmmakers will participate in a series of exclusive sessions with senior industry professionals and festival guests. Selected filmmakers are then paired with a mentor and meetings will be facilitated throughout 2020.
Selected filmmakers receive:
At BFI Flare -
- Industry Accreditation for BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (18-29 March 2020), with access to Press & Industry Screenings, an Industry Programme exploring LGBTQ+ media production, networking opportunities and the Festival’s Digital Viewing Library
- A bespoke programme of roundtables and in-conversation events with visiting filmmakers and senior industry figures
- Invitation to the Opening Night film and reception on Wednesday 18 March 2020
- The opportunity to include their short film on the BFI Flare Digital Viewing Library
Throughout the year -
- 3-4 one-to-one meetings with their selected mentor
- Industry Accreditation for the BFI London Film Festival (7-18 October 2020)
- Access to BAFTA’s year-round Learning and New Talent programme including BFI NETWORK x BAFTA Crew
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
To be eligible for this opportunity you must:
- Have written, produced or directed a short film which has screened at a BAFTA-qualifying festival
- Or, for writers only: have one piece of full-length theatre work performed professionally in the UK or one radio credit
- Be working towards a debut feature film or television pilot/online commission
- Be a UK resident
Please Note: If your film has not screened at a BAFTA-qualifying festival, but has screened at a number of recognised international film festivals, we encourage you to apply
Applications are currently open until Thursday 20 February.